Healthcare is changing as our current model of “disease care” is failing. Chronic disease such as heart disease remains the leading cause of death in America and worldwide. A new system of healthcare is emerging that engages you, the patient, to become more empowered and play an active role in health and wellbeing. Modern science is demonstrating that most noncommunicable disease, like heart disease, results from both current and lifelong environmental exposures that interact with the microbiome (gut microbial population), lifestyle choices, and a variety of psycho-social and economical factors. A whole person approach to health and healing cultivates resilience by supporting individual needs while also helping remove the obstacles to optimal health.
Integrative medicine is healing-oriented medicine that takes account of the whole person, including all aspects of lifestyle. It is widely reported that 70% to 90% of all heart disease is preventable. In addition, an unhealthy diet is now the leading cause of death in Americans. Yet, cardiologists have little to no training in lifestyle medicine, especially nutrition.
Cardiology is ripe for integrative medicine. Bridging the knowledge of modern medicine with the wisdom of indigenous healing systems, a new system of health care will emerge which supports the health of the individual as well as the community and environment in which they live. I plan to do my part as an integrative cardiologist.
Hello, I’m Dr. Dave Johnson, MD, FACC
An integrative cardiologist, lifestyle health consultant, functional medicine provider, and your partner in developing a more resilient life
- that most cardiovascular disease is preventable and potentially reversible
- life experiences and exposures are at the core of the human condition
- addressing all imbalances in life, including biological, psychological (mental, emotional, behavioral), social, intergenerational, and environmental promote healing and well-being
- using integrative and functional medicine strategies to restore health and promote vitality
- nourishing foods, healthy lifestyle choices, and interconnectedness are key to human flourishing.
I look forward to hearing from you and learning more about what is important to you.