Integrative Health and Healing
“As a cardiologist, I am well trained in the diagnosis and management of cardiovascular disease. As an integrative health specialist, my goal is to help you find your best solutions for the prevention and reversal of heart disease and associated risk factors.” ~Dave Johnson, MD
Reasons Individuals Seek My Services
The primary reason is H.O.P.E, which stands for Healing-Oriented Practices and Environment. Our partnership focuses on self-awareness, self-care, and self-improvement while creating environments supportive of healing. The self-care strategies focus of seven primary core areas of health:
- Nutrition: eating whole unprocessed nutritious foods
- Movement: being active
- Sleep: consistently getting adequate restful sleep
- Environment: managing our physical surroundings
- Relationships: interacting respectfully with ourselves and others
- Resiliency: practicing stress protective activities
- Spirituality: embracing values and beliefs about ourselves, others and the world
There are many ways to find better balance in life and thus limiting the adverse effects of stress. Building upon my extensive medical background, I have also trained in a variety of mind-body techniques that help individuals better manage stress in their lives.
- Nutritional counseling and whole food, plant-based nutrition
- Lifestyle optimization
- Biofeedback with HeartMath
- Breathwork training
- Nature-based therapies
Mindfulness training has been a blessing for both my professional and personal life. Teaching mindfulness strategies is a cornerstone to helping individuals improve their lifestyle patterns as well as their overall health while reducing risk for future heart disease.
- Individuals with established cardiovascular disease looking for a more holistic and integrative approach to management
- Individuals with known risk factors for cardiovascular disease including high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, weight management, and smoking
- Individuals who desire cardiovascular risk assessment and management of risk
In partnership with you, I offer you my personalized and enhanced services as an investment in your health and wellbeing. In order to provide you this scope of service, I no longer participate with Medicare or Medicaid and I am considered out-of-network with all other third party health insurance carriers.
Advanced Lab Assessment
Emerging biomarker lab tests are changing the way we diagnose heart disease. Long before plaque builds up in the arteries causing symptoms of heart disease, there are numerous metabolic changes that contribute to not only to plaque development but early plaque rupture.
Did you know that sudden cardiac death is a far too often first symptom of coronary artery disease?
My current approach is to obtain functional lab testing divided in three categories:
- Metabolic risk, which includes cholesterol, advanced lipid markers, blood sugar control, thyroid function, vitamin status, kidney function, etc.
- Inflammatory risk, which includes markers of nonspecific inflammation as well as oxidative stress and vascular remodeling
- Ecological risk, which includes environmental toxins exposure and accumulation as well as the health of the intestinal microbiome.
While these are often the starting point, we also need to take into account other conditions such as chronic stress, chronic pain, depression/anxiety, impaired gut health, autoimmune conditions, endocrine disorders and cognitive decline. To help optimize your health and wellbeing, I have partnered with other health care providers with expertise in areas outside my scope of practice.
EndoPAT™: Finding Vascular Disease Before It Finds You!
This 15 minute test is performed just like taking a blood pressure but much more information is obtained. This test assesses the health of the lining of your blood vessels, otherwise known as endothelial function. The healthier your endothelial function the lower the risk for heart attacks, strokes, poor circulation, gangrene and many other chronic conditions.
- It is safe and simple
- Highly accurate and reproducible
- Scientifically validated
- Requires no medications or radiation exposure
Learn more about the EndoPAT™ test
Contact the office location nearest you to schedule your EndoPAT™ test today.
KardiaMobile by AliveCor
Take a medical-grade single lead EKG anytime, anywhere. In just 30 seconds, detect normal heart rhythm or AFib.
This heart rate and rhythm monitoring technology is available through my office to help you detect the cause of palpitations or irregularity in heart rhythm. It is also proven technology for detection of arrhythmias such as atrial fibrillation.
Take away the guess work, make an appointment today.
BEMER Vascular Therapy (Coming Soon)
BEMER uses a patented electronic signal to improve blood flow in the smallest vessels of the body, often referred to as the microcirculation. This delivers many important benefits to users including significant improvements in:
- Nutrition and oxygen supply to cells
- Cardiac function
- Sleep management
- Elimination of toxins
- Physical fitness and endurance
- Muscle stimulation
- Stress reduction and relaxation
Although BEMER is designed for personal use at home, it is now available for you to try out at Sleeping Bear Natural Health in Traverse City, Michigan.
Call (231) 252-9000 today and schedule your BEMER experience.
Cost: $35 for a single session, $300 for a 10-session pack, $500 for a 20-session pack. I recommend a minimum of 3 sessions per week, optimal home use in twice a day. Benefits may not be immediately noticable.
Click here to learn more about BEMER.
*Dave Johnson, MD is an independent business distributor for BEMER.
* David Johnson, MD is an independent practitioner at Grand Rapids Natural Health and Sleeping Bear Natural Health.