The Best of Both Worlds!
Welcome! Let me tell you a bit about my journey and the conventional and unconventional pathways I have taken.
“Healing comes from the optimization of function in the physical body while attending to the emotional, mental and spiritual aspects of life. Although early detection of disease may be helpful to initiate the healing process, proactive health care is about learning effective strategies that both prevents disease and potentially even reverses disease when it is present.” -Dave Johnson, MD
Much of my conventional medical career has focused on diagnosing and treating medical disease. After medical specialization, I turned my focus on the diagnosis and management of cardiovascular disease.
My Conventional Training:
- Medical School: The Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Internal Medicine Residency: University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- Cardiovascular Fellowship: University of Alabama, Birmingham
However, despite developing a highly successful conventional cardiology practice I became restless. I began to feel that my training in conventional medicine only skimmed the surface when it actually came to healing.
My Unconventional Path:
So, in 2008 my unconventional path began. I was introduced to Andrew Weil, MD and Tieraona LowDog, MD at the University of Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine where I completed a two-year integrative medicine fellowship. As in Mary Oliver’s poem, The Journey, I was now prepared to leave the comforts of home (conventional medicine) and have the courage to blaze a new trail (integrative health and healing).
From there my journey has led me down a much less traveled path including the study of mindfulness, wilderness immersion and shamanic healing practices. These experiences helped me to hear with clarity that internal voice calling me to reach deeper into health and healing by embracing the entirety of human experience from body, mind, soul and spirit.
As an integrative health consultant, I recognize the power of individual healing and will provide you with the guidance and resources to optimize your healing journey. After all, healing is an individual experience and as such treatment cannot be standardized.
My Unconventional Training:
- Integrative Medicine Fellowship: University of Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine
- Plant-based nutrition education
- Mindfulness training: Mindfulness-based stress reduction, mindfulness meditation, somatic meditation
- Animas Valley Institute: Discovering the soul through wilderness immersion
- The Four Winds Society: Light Body School and shamanic training
As a result of these experiences, I have been creating both integrative cardiology and integrative health programs. The emphasis in these programs is on treating the entire individual from body to mind, soul and spirit, often with the support of other gifted healers that come from a variety of different disciplines, including conventional, complementary and self-care approaches.
* David Johnson, MD is an independent practitioner at Grand Rapids Natural Health and Sleeping Bear Natural Health.